Joel M. Corwin, M.D.
Joel M. Corwin, M.D. received his M.D. and ScB. degrees from Brown University. He completed an internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, a residency in ophthalmology at Tufts-New England Medical Center, and a fellowship in retina-vitreous at Retina Associates, where he led a diabetic retinopathy vitrectomy study. He has participated in numerous research projects in uveitis, ocular immunology, glaucoma and other areas.
Dr. Corwin is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners. He is a member of the American Association of Ophthalmology, the American Uveitis Society, and the West Coast Retina-Vitreous Study Club. He has received numerous honors and awards throughout his career and was President of the American Diabetic Association from 1987-1988.
- Corwin, J, Schwartz, B: Inflammatory Response of Guinea Pig to Injected Limbal Tissue. Invest. Ophthalmol. 1978; 17:814-817.
- Corwin, J, Weiter, J: Occupational Exposure and Choroidal Melanoma. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1980; 89:878. (Letter to Editor.)
- Corwin, J, Weiter, J: Immunology of Chorioretinal Disorders (A Review Article). Survey of Ophthalmology 1981; 25:287-305.
- Corwin, J, Baum, J: Iridocyclitis in Two Patients with Hypocomplementemic Cutaneous Vasculitis. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1982; 94:111-113.
- Seddon, J, Corwin, J, Sutula, F, Weiter, J: Solitary Extramedullary Plasmacytoma of the Palpebral Conjunctiva. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1982; 66:450-454.
- Corwin, J, Weiter, J, Andrezjewski, C, Schwartz, B: Ocular Findings in the MRL/l and MRL/n Mice: An Animal Model of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Investigative Ophthalmology (to be submitted).
- "Inflammatory Response of Guinea Pig to Injected Limbal Tissue." Atlantic Sectional Meeting of ARVO, Nov 1976.
- "An Animal Model of an Autoimmune Glaucoma." American Uveitis Society Meeting at Phoenix, AZ, March 1979. (by invitation)
- "Immunology of the Eye." Tufts-New England Medical Center. Department of Medical Rounds, June 1982.
- "Immunology of Chorioretinal Disease." Department of Medicine Rounds. August 1982.
- "Ocular Findings in the MRL/l and MRL/n in Mice: An Animal Model of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus." ARVO, May 1983.
- "Diseases of the Retina." Ventura College, April 1985.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." Grand Round Community Memorial Hospital, Oct 1983.
- "Retinal Eye Disease." Grand Rounds Ventura County Medical Center, May 1984.
- "Diabetic Retinopathy." Grand Rounds Santa Paula Memorial Hospital, Feb 1985.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." Grand Rounds St. John's Regional Medical Center, Nov 1985.
- "Diabetic Retinopathy." American Diabetic Association, Camarillo, June 1985.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." American Diabetic Association, Ventura, Oct-Nov 1983.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." American Diabetic Association, Santa Paula, Jan 1985.
- Lecture to Braille class at Ventura College, Jan 1986 and Jan 1987.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." Los Robles Hospital, 1988, 1990, 1993.
- "Diabetic Eye Disease." Simi Valley Adventist Hospital, 1989.
William Stivelman, M.D.
William Cooper Stivelman, M.D. earned his medical degree in 1982 from Rosalynd Franklin School of Medicine, North Chicago, IL. He then completed a residency in Internal Medicine at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, California and a residency in ophthalmology at Northwestern University Medical Center (McGaw Medical Center, Lakeside Veterans' Administration Hospital, Children's Memorial Hospital, Evanston Hospital) in Chicago. He was also awarded a fellowship in Medical Ophthalmology, Glaucoma and Medical Retina at Mt. Zion Hospital and Medical Center in San Francisco.
Dr. Stivelman is a Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Ophthalmology, and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. His professional memberships include:
- California Medical Association, 1987 to Present
- Ventura County Medical Society, 1987 to Present
- Ventura County Ophthalmological Society, 1991 to Present
- Program Secretary, 1993-1994
- Treasurer, 1994-1995
- President, 1995-1996
- American Diabetes Association Board Member, Ventura County Chapter, 1988-1989
- Chicago Ophthalmologic Society, 1983-1986
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmologists, 1983-1986
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1983 to present
Dr. Stivelman is an Independent Medical Evaluator as well as an Expert Reviewer in Ophthalmology for the Medical Board of California. He is an Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at Stein Eye Institute/Center for Health Sciences, UCLA. He has published articles in respected journals, co-produced an electronic cross-referenced ophthalmic lexicon currently in use at Northwestern University's Fluorescein Angiography Library and elsewhere, and co-authored and contributed to several books on classical music. He speaks fluent French and Medical Spanish.
Honors and Awards
- Physician's Service Award, American Medical Association, 1982
- Distinguished Service, Chicago Medical School, 1982
- Undergraduate Honors, 1973-1977
- Academic Distinction, 1973-1977
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1977
- Magna Cum Laude, 1977
- Columbia Los Robles Regional Medical Center, Thousand Oaks
- Westlake Eye Surgery Center, Westlake Village
- UCLA Medical Center Hospitals/Jules Stein Eye Institute
- Community Memorial Hospital, Ventura
- St. John's Regional Medical Center, Oxnard
- Lynn Eye Surgery Center, Thousand Oaks
Dr. Stivelman's Farewell Letter
After three decades practicing ophthalmology, I will retire in mid-December, 2014. The decision is based principally in my desire to spend the future committing more time to a charitable pursuit in which I am already deeply involved, and enjoying music and photography through world travel.
Patients currently seeing me for glaucoma or the suspicion of glaucoma should continue their care with Shayna Mangers, M.D., a Barnes Hospital, St. Louis-trained glaucoma specialist who joined us over six years ago. Alternatively, if preferred, patients may elect to see Andrew Young, MD., trained within the Glaucoma Division of UCSD, who joined us eight years ago. Patients continuing their general eye care (e.g. annual examinations, anterior segment urgencies) should see Ashish Toor, MD, who was educated both at Cambridge University, UK and later in residency at Mount Sinai, NYC. She began her fifth year in our group this past summer. Those interested in contact lenses in conjunction with annual well eye care examinations may see Benica Eyvazzadeh, O.D. or Jaspinder Kalra, O.D. All Conejo-Simi Eye providers are eminently qualified to provide ongoing medical services to my established patients as well as new patients, and each is affable, available, and committed to providing a high level of clinical care available, in my opinion. Each has considerable clinical experience with commensurate interpersonal skills and acumen. All will gladly consult your new patient referrals henceforth, as I am now no longer seeing new patients to the practice.
Our practice has grown from a two doctor, two office general ophthalmology practice in 1987 to, in 2014, a nine affiliated office, two surgicenter, twenty-five care provider associated multisubspecialty ophthalmology network. Patients may obtain care from nearly all ophthalmologic disciplines including comprehensive ophthalmology, retina-vitreous, glaucoma, ophthalmic plastics/reconstruction, pediatric ophthalmology, cataract surgery, keratorefractive surgery and contact lenses, with academic associations.
Many thanks for your trust over the past decades. I am confident that Conejo-Simi Eye Medical Group and its network of physicians will ably serve the population of Ventura County long into the future.
Very respectfully yours,
William C. Stivelman, M.D.
Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology,
Stein Eye Institute/Center for Health Sciences, UCLA
Agreed Medical Evaluator
Independent Medical Evaluator
Independent Medical Reviewer, State of California
Expert Reviewer in Ophthalmology, Medical Board of California
Co-Director of Lions-Doheny Eye and Tissue Transplant Bank of
Central Coast, an EBAA Affiliate, University of Southern California, 1992-2005
QME, State of California, 1988-2011
Clinical Instructor in Ophthalmology, UCSF 1986-1987